Expert PHP and MySQL published!
I'm very pleased to announce the publication of my book Expert PHP and MySQL
, published by Wrox. This book was written by myself, Andrew Curioso and Ronald Bradford. The short of it is, upon finishing my previous book, Developing Web Applications with Apache, MySQL, memcached, and Perl
For me, I have been more of a Perl guy, however, I like PHP just as well and even prefer how it's web deployment model is much easier (you don't need to modify your httpd config files) was interested in a challenge of writing a book on a different language. Also, some fruits of this being that my project from my Perl book, Narada, now has a PHP port.
I'm proud of this book. It was harder in some ways to write a book with other people than do it all myself, despite far fewer pages. However, the end product took advantage of all our strengths.
Topics covered in this book are (but not limited to!):
* PHP and MySQL techniques every programmer should know
* Advanced PHP concepts such as using iterators, making classes behave like functions, using true lambda functions and closures
* MySQL storage engines
* Using the information schema
* Improving performance through caching - using memcached to add a caching layer to your application
* Writing UDFs
* Writing PHP extensions
* Using the Memcached Functions for MySQL (UDFs)
* Full text search - installing, configuring, and using Sphinx in a PHP application
* Multi-tasking in PHP using Gearman. Narada is used as an example application demonstrating how to put many of the concepts of the book into an application
* Using Apache rewrite rules
* HTTP-based authentication
All-in-all, this is a great book that I hope will benefit PHP/MySQL or any other web developers who need a source of expert information!
I want to thank Andrew, Ronald, Wiley (Bob Elliot, Maureen Spears), Trond Norbye and Eric Day (who tech-edited the book!), and all others who I could write a book in itself who have helped (see my credits in the book!). Also, I want to thank the team at NorthScale, my employer, for being able to work with a team experts who I could refer to while working on this book.
You can buy this book from any major publisher, and from Wiley at http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470563125.html Current Mood: chipper